Wednesday, May 21, 2014

What to turn to in times of stress: God- Stress Buster!

So, I have been thinking lately that we are all facing something that causes us stress (no doubt about it!). In times of these stress, we often want to take it out on others, or other things, get anxious as well as possibly lead to exhaustion. Is this really the best thing to do? No, probably not.

The reason I have been thinking about this is because I am preparing for a sermon as a part of my internship/ mentoring at a local church, before I start doing VBS this summer. The pastor mentoring me thought I could do a sermon for their youth/ grad Sunday, in an interview form (with him asking me questions).One of the questions is "What kind of Challenges did you face in your faith?". I have faced quite a few, but the most significant was when I was experiencing much anxiety, and fear of the unknown, to the point of sleeplessness. The passage that really helped me get through was Matthew 6:35-34.

During my sermon preparation, I was told by the pastor to use a illustration in a book called 1001 Illustraions that connect (Larson & Elshof). One of the illustrations was on "Idolizing exhaustion", indirectly related to my sermon and not the one I am using (still about a challenge) by Barbara Brown Taylor entitled "Divine Substraction". It says "I do not mean to make an idol of health, but it does seem to me that at least some of us have made an idol of exhaustion. The only time we know we have done enough is when we are running on empty, and when the ones we love most are the ones we see least. When we lie down to sleep at night, we offer our full appointment calendars to God in lieu of prayer, believing that God--who is as busy as we are--will surely understand."

Barbara Brown Taylor writes this, I believe in hoping that we are taken away from the "busyness of life that we all face". We need to surrender ALL to God. As well as learn to say NO so that we do not face Exhaustion. Trust me, its not fun: I've faced it, and there are days you don't feel like doing anything and/ or just like sleeping. But one thing during this, just like Brown mentions, I know God does understand, and I keep putting my faith and trust in Him. The main verses that has always hit home when it comes to stress/ anxiety and even exhaustion were verses 34 & 35: But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you. “Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble. We must seek him and his kingdom for guidance in any situation, and there is no need to worry!

I will post my "notes" after the sermon on Sunday, for those interested.

Until I blog again,

Peace to the brothers and sisters, and love with faith from God the Father and the Lord Jesus Christ. Grace to all who love our Lord Jesus Christ with an undying love. Ephesians 6:23-24 (NIV)

-Paul Branscombe

No comments:

Post a Comment