Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Faith: Struggle and Power

Okay, so it is pretty much the beginning of summer vacation (or at least for students and teachers). A time of relaxing, going outside and enjoying the wonderful weather. But when we think of vacation, we tend to get a bit lazy about our faith in Christ.

Regardless of the season, our faith can be challenged or tested at any time. A passage that came to mind when testing our own faith is 2 Corinthians 13: As Christ followers, we must give ourselves our own test, even when it is not summer. Sure, Jesus is in us, and we believe in him, but are we serving him, as well as honouring him (by praying and spending time in the Bible)?

Here in 2 Corinthians 13, Paul is instructing us to “give ourselves regular checkups” (MSG) in our walk with Christ. To me, this means we often forget that Christ is the centre of our lives. But there is good news, even if we fall we are able to test our selves and have a renewed mind that Christ IS in us. Later in verse 7, Paul reminds us to “pray to God… even though we may seem to have failed.”

Prayer is what drives us to continue, continue working in our faith, making it stronger to help us continue in making disciples as Jesus called us to do. God wants us to test our faith, because we need it to proclaim his good truth and building our faith up.

Sometimes our faith needs to be challenged too! How so? Our faith is challenged through various trials in life. These trials can consist of anything that gets in the way of our relationship with God. For example, I spoke on worry back in May. I considered it a trial because it got in the way of my relationship with God.

James 1:2-4 says “Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything” (NIV).

Did you notice the words joy and perseverance? I do not know about you, but when James writes saying trials will produce perseverance and we should be joyful over it, I would be happy despite the trial! The key here though, is that when our faith faces trials, we can rejoice through them and mature our faith through the trials.

I will end with lyrics from Hillsong United’s song “Oceans (Where feet may fail)”:
Spirit lead me where my trust is without borders. Let me walk upon the waters. Wherever You would call me. Take me deeper than my feet could ever wander
And my faith will be made stronger. In the presence of my Savior.
Get the Full Lyrics Here.

God wants us to both test our own faith and increase our faith in Jesus Christ through trials. Let that be a wonderful reminder to us as we enter our summer season, taking a break from various programs. Let your faith be your focus this summer! Let the spirit lead you each day through your trials and observance of your own, to make it stronger. That is power in your faith!

God Bless,

Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment